This meal may take up every pan in the kitchen, but believe me it’s worth it! Every part of the bowl is an absolute taste sensation – from the salty, herby beans, to the lime-y guac, to the spicy chipotle veg. Sometimes we also add in some soft tacos so you can share with friends and pile it high. It’s also completely vegan – but don’t worry meat-lovers, the flavours and textures make up for it , plus you’re getting a good pack of complete protein with the beans and rice 👍
Ingredients – Refried Beans
1 tin of pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 tin of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 large clove of garlic (chopped/mashed)
1 onion (diced)
1 pint of vegetable stock
Ingredients – Guacamole
2 large avocados
Ingredients – Spicy veg
Stir-fry veg of your choice (enough for 4 servings)- we used 3 peppers, 1 red onion, 2 carrots and a tin of sweetcorn
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp chipotle paste
Olive / rapeseed oil
You’ll also need some rice. We measure 1 full cup of rice for 4 servings then pop it on to boil with two cups of water. When all the water’s nearly gone, turn the heat off and leave with the lid on until ready to serve.
- First, pop your rice on and make sure everything’s chopped and ready to go.
- In a large frying pan add some olive oil and then tip in the diced onions. When they are softened and starting to brown (about 5-10 mins depending), add the garlic and oregano and stir for a minute or so.
- Then tip in the beans and continue frying for a couple more minutes.
- Next, add some of the stock and start to mash the beans with the stock. You want to use about half the stock and the beans should be about half mashed – if you got to mashed potato then you’ve gone too far! This process takes a bit of practice but they should be tasting delicious! Remember to season and taste as you go. Once you’re happy with them take them off the heat and leave in the pan – we can add more stock to soften before serving.
- In a wok or another frying pan it’s time to start the veg. Add the oil and then the veg that takes the longest to cook (in this case the carrots). Slowly add in the other veg on a high heat until everything is sizzling and starting to get some colour.
- Add the tomato puree and chipotle and mix round to make sure everything is well coated.
- Meanwhile, mash up the avocado and mix with some lime juice and chopped coriander to make a simple guacamole.
- When the rice is done, you should be ready to go! If your beans have gone quite thick then pop them back on the heat with a bit more stock to loosen then up a bit.
- Serve in a pasta bowl (or separate bowls if you’re doing tacos!) and add a squeeze more lime and some coriander to finish!